The high school sports season is fast approaching with all area Interscholastic Athletic Conference and Central Counties League varsity squads getting started Monday.
– Varsity and JV football take to the field with Ralph Boettger returning at the varsity helm for practice from 3:30 until 8 p.m.
– The boys’ varsity soccer team will practice from 3:30-6 p.m. with Laszlo Engel at the helm.
– New varsity girls’ soccer head coach Kaitlyn Cook will hold her first practice from 7-8:30 a.m. and from 4-6 p.m.
– Girls’ varsity volleyball will practice under the guidance of Al Sautter from 8-11 a.m. on opening day.
– Varsity cross country with head coach Ashley Miller will begin practice at the high school from 3:30 until 5 p.m.
– Girls’ varsity swimming and diving will begin its practice under head coach Jason Webb from 8 a.m. until 12 noon.
– Varsity football under second-year head coach Tom Goddard will take place at the high school from 12-2:30 p.m. and 3:30-6 p.m.
– Varsity girls’ soccer will practice from 6:30-9:30 a.m. and 6-8 p.m. with head coach Dick Brecht.
– Girls’ varsity volleyball will practice at the high school gym from 8-10 a.m. under the guidance of head coach Melissa Sorenson.
– Varsity cross country head coach Scott Weeks will put is runners through their paces from 8-9:30 a.m. starting at the high school.
– Varsity boys’ soccer did not respond to calls for information.
– Varsity field hockey will run from 8:30-11 a.m. at Appleby Elementary School under the guidance of Karen Funk, who enters her 43rd year as coach.
– Boys’ varsity soccer will practice from 9-11 a.m. as Chip Stewart returns for his 29th season.
– Varsity girls’ soccer and head coach Trish Hayes will hold their first practice starting at 8 a.m.
– Varsity cross country with head coach Todd James will begin practice at 6 p.m.
— The boys’ varsity soccer team’s first practice will be from 8 to 10 a.m. on Firemen’s Field, with coach Gordy Brown asking that players report at 7:30 a.m. The team will also practice from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the same location.
— The girls’ varsity soccer team, under new coach Mike Radziwon, will practice from 7:30 to 9 a.m. and 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Firemen’s Field.
— The first practices for the boys’ varsity soccer team, under new coach Jamie Crumb, will be from 8 to 10 a.m. and from 5 to 7 p.m. at Bennett Street Field.
— Julie Hewes’ girls’ varsity soccer team will practice from 8 to 10 a.m. and from 3 to 5 p.m., also at Bennett Street Field.
In addition, a pre-season meeting which is mandatory for all McGraw athletes in all seasons during the school year will take place this Thursday (Aug. 18) in the high school auditorium starting at 7 p.m. A makeup meeting will take place Sept. 15, also in the auditorium at 7 p.m. Students may not participate in sports without attending one of the meetings.
— Former boys’ coach Eric Nash now coaches the girls’ varsity soccer team, which will practice from 8 to 11 a.m. on the school field.
— New coach Chad Newton will conduct the boys’ varsity soccer team’s first practice from 5 to 7 p.m. on the school field.
— Serap Hill’s boys’ and girls’ cross country teams will get underway starting at 6 p.m. at the high school.