November 28, 2021

Marathon blanks Dryden in IAC showdown

Katie Vartanian/contributing photographer

Dryden midfielder Casey Phillips (10) tries playing the ball away from Marathon marking back-midfielder Evan Larrabee (16) during Tuesday’s Interscholastic Athletic Conference soccer game in Marathon. Larrabee and the Olympians shut out the Purple Lions, 3-0.

MARATHON — They were two teams who had yet to lose an Interscholastic Athletic Conference boys’ soccer game this season as Marathon hosted Dryden Tuesday afternoon.

Diego Castellot converted a penalty kick two minutes into the contest that propelled the Olympians to a 3-0 victory over the Purple Lions. Marathon is now 9-0-1 overall. The Olympians played to a 1-1 overtime time with Lansing Sept. 24. Dryden falls to 8-2 after a second straight loss. The Purple Lions lost to Chenango Forks in overtime in the Greene Tournament final Saturday and they were 8-0 in IAC play until yesterday.

“We struck early as Cameron Neilson won a ball at the top of the box and was brought down for a penalty kick,” Marathon coach Chip Stewart said. “Diego converted the penalty kick. The second half was basically played between the 18’s although we had one goal taken away because of a foul and Dryden was turned back by Kenyon DePuy as he made three of his four saves in the second half.”

“We simply were not in the mindset of playing our best in the first half,” Dryden coach Laszlo Engel said. “I am not sure why. We played much better in the second half, but the game was already decided at that point. We can and will build on the second half. We will learn from this midseason lull and focus on returning to how we got here. We will regroup and find solutions so we can go forward to have a better second half of the season. We have some work to do and will do so.”

On the heels of Castellot’s penalty kick goal Marathon continued to build momentum and struck for two more goals before the first half ended.

The Olympians went up 2-0 with 14 minutes left in the half. Trent O’Neill slid a pass to Braeden Morrison who poked a shot off the right post and into the goal.

Marathon pushed its advantage to 3-0 with five minutes left in the half. Cameron Neilson took a pass from Trent Ensign and stuck the ball in the back of the net.

That would be it for scoring in the game as Stewart mentioned.

Marathon took eight shots in the game and had four corner kicks. Dryden finished with six shots and three corner kicks. Steve Morrow recorded five saves for Dryden while Kenyon DePuy made four saves for Marathon.

Dryden will return home Thursday as the Purple Lions host Southern Cayuga in a 4:30 p.m. game. Marathon will be home Thursday when Union Springs-Port Byron comes to town for a 4:30 p.m. contest against the Olympians.