October 18, 2021

Cincy fire displaces 2

Couple escapes Knickerbocker Road home unhurt

Shenandoah Briere/staff reporter

Firefighters ventilate a portion of a house on Knickerbocker Road in Cinncinatus after a fire started due to a crack in a piece of the fireplace. Everyone in the house made it out safely.

A couple was not injured, but left homeless Wednesday morning after a fire in their Cincinnatus home.

Dorris Tracy, of 5076 Knickerbocker Road, was getting ready to help her husband, Norman J. Tracy, out of bed and into the living room around 10:30 a.m. when she noticed the living room filling with smoke. She called her daughter Carolyn Nowak, who lives in McGraw, to ask her to dial 911 because she believed the house to be on fire.

Dorris Tracy said she was unable to make the call because she needed to help her husband, who has cancer and is on oxygen, out of the house.

Cincinnatus firefighters were showing nursery-age to kindergarten students from the Cincinnatus area different things firefighters do for National Fire Prevention week when the call came into the station at 10:45 a.m.

“We had a crew already here, so we were able to get out of the station fast,” said firefighter Rich Rogers, who was first on the scene. When he arrived, he could see smoke and little fire on the building’s exterior near the chimney. Crews from Cincinnatus, Cortlandville, Marathon and Willet doused the fire by 11:20 a.m.

“They got it knocked down in a hurry,” he said.

Rogers said they believe the fire started because of crack in the thimble flue of the chimney. Damage was undetermined.

The house is owned by Donny Knickerbocker, Dorris Tracy said.

The Tracys are staying with their daughter in McGraw until they can re-enter their home.