Small Business Saturday returns to Cortland this weekend, with 28 area restaurants and retailers offering special promotions in an annual event on the Saturday after Thanksgiving and sponsored by the Cortland County Chamber of Commerce.
While promotions are offered at businesses around the area, the event will feature two hubs — Bru 64 at 64 Main St. in Cortland and Sinfully Sweet Cafe at 17 S. Main St. in Homer.
You can get a free tote bag and a free cup of coffee if you stop by either location from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday.
Those who stop by Sinfully Sweet Cafe in Homer can also meet Santa Claus, or have coffee with Homer Police Chief Robert Pitman.
At 10 a.m., Santa Claus will arrive by fire truck and police escort near Homer Men and Boys Store, Pitman said.
The goal of the event is to encourage area residents to shop at local businesses, said Nikki Davi, member relations specialist for the county Chamber of Commerce.
“American Express is the one that started this 10 years ago,” she said. “We just piggyback off that and do it locally.”
This is the third year that the county chamber has sponsored the event, Davi said.
In 2018, about 104 million customers across the U.S. spent about $17.8 billion in local shops and restaurants on Small Business Saturday, according to the U.S. Small Business Administration.
“Supporting the local economy is the driving force behind Small Business Saturday, and every year the SBA has been proud to rally the community during this vibrant holiday shopping season event,” said Chris Pilkerton, acting administrator of the Small Business Administration. “The SBA helps empower America’s 30 million small businesses by providing them with tools they need to start, grow and expand during the holiday season and throughout the year.”
Participating merchants in Small Business Saturday
- Vine Health & Fitness — 20 N. Main St., Cortland
- Edward Jones — 3 N. Main St., Homer
- Stupid Choppers/Town Line Motors — 207 Tompkins St., Cortland
- Hairy Tony’s — 102 Main St., Cortland
- Finger Lakes Tasting & Tap Room — 31 Main St., Cortland
- Homer Men and Boys — 9 S. Main St., Homer
- Edible Arrangements- 2300 N. Triphammer Road, Ithaca
- Cortland Picture Frame Co. — 9 N. Main St., Cortland
- Willowbrook Golf Club — 3267 Route 215, Virgil
- Trinity Valley — 2847 Route 13, Cortland
- Paragon Home Loans — 50 Clinton Ave., Cortland
- Anytime Fitness — 3939 West Road, Route 281, Cortland
- JBK Builders Inc. — 3660 The Park, Cortland
- The Cortland Flower Shop — 11 N. Main St., Cortland
- Olde Homer House — 44 James St., Homer
- Cortland County Historical Society — 25 Homer Ave., Cortland
- Pontillo’s — 124 Groton Ave., Cortland
- Homer Hops Brewery — at Sinfully Sweet Café, 19 S. Main St., Homer
- Mobile Detail — CALL 607-591-1547 or Email email@example.com
- Bernard’s Custom Logo — 107-111 Main St., Cortland
- Cinch Art Space — 75 E. Court St., Cortland
- Bev n Co. — 1-3 Main St., Homer
- North End Liquors — 189 Homer Ave., Cortland
- Hope Lake Lodge — 2000 Route 392, Virgil
- Greek Peak Ski Shop — 2000 Rout. 392, Virgil
- First National Bank of Groton — 161 Main St., Groton
- Dasher’s Corner Pub — 2 N. Main St., Homer