December 5, 2021

Blaze damages Solon house

Wood stove in basement suspected; no injuries reported

Kevin Conlon/city editor

Firefighters disassemble a portable pond Thursday afternoon at the site of a house fire on Wildman Road in Solon. The building was heavily damaged and cannot be occupied.

A fire, believed to have been started by a wood stove in the basement, heavily damaged a house Thursday afternoon on Wildman Road in Solon, Cortlandville Fire Chief Jere Henry said.

“The whole back of the house was burned,” Henry said as dozens of firefighters completed cleaning up after the fire. “They (residents) believe it was from the wood stove in the back basement.”

The three residents of the Rainbow family, who live at 4083 Wildman Road, were home at the time of the fire, the fire chief said. They and passersby called to report the fire at 4:06 p.m. while some of the residents used a garden hose to begin fighting the fire.

“They smelled smoke and saw the fire come up through,” he said.

No injuries were reported.

The house cannot be occupied until repairs are made, Henry said.

In addition to Cortlandville, firefighters responded from Cincinnatus, Homer, Killawogo, Marathon and McGraw, said Scott Roman, director of emergency response and communications for Cortland County,

Roman said the fire was brought under control by about 5 p.m. and Henry said the last firefighters left the scene at about 6:30 p.m.