Homer Central recently honored its student-athlete award winners in a virtual ceremony, highlighted by naming seniors Dylan Yacavone and Allyson Natale as the 2019-2020 Homer Central School Athletes of the Year.
Yacavone only got his football season in the books his senior year. He completed 36 of 73 passing attempts for 621 yards and nine touchdowns with just one interception. Yacavone rushed for 38 yards on four touchdowns from his quarterback spot. He finishes with 1,049 career passing yards. Yacavone missed out on his senior lacrosse season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. He netted 90 career goals, 34 assists and totaled 124 points. Yacavone mostly likely would have cracked the top 10 in career scoring if there had been a 2020 season. Yacavone will be heading to Binghamton University to play lacrosse.
Natale competed in volleyball and bowling her senior year while missing out on lacrosse because of the COVID-19 pandemic were she would was a midfielder- defender. In volleyball, Natale was a second team all-star after leading the Trojans in kills (135) and aces (37). This came after missing her junior season with a torn ACL. She is in the top 15 in career kills with 170. In bowling, Natale improved every season and was the co-MVP this season. Natale will continue her volleyball career at SUNY Oswego.
There were no spring sports so the MVPs, MIPs, etc. were not handed out by the individual teams but there were additional special awards winners for the past school year including:
• The Sheldon S. Riter Memorial Athletic Awards were presented to Connor Matthews and Garrett Mead.
• The Coach Norris “Iron Mike” Memorial Award was presented to Zachary Apker.
• The William C. Van Patten Memorial Baseball Awards were presented to Nicholas Gravel, Hunter White, Tyler Poole and Braeden Rolfe.
• The Michael “Buck” Johnson Awards were presented to Zach Apker, Jake Calabro, Derek Fickett, Ty MacPherson, Connor Matthews, Hunter White and Dylan Yacavone.
• The Friends of Homer Runners Scholarships were presented to Madeline Cole and Nathan Larkin.
• The Homer Athletic Booster Clubs Awards were presented to Madeline Cole (varsity), Nicholas Gravel (varsity), Kayla Miller (JV), William Dady (JV), Caitlin McCloy (junior high) and Wyatt Wilbur;(junior high).
• Bryan Czarnecki Football Backers Scholarship was presented to Derek Fickett.
• The James L. Hilsinger Memorial Award was presented to Derek Fickett.
• The Women in Sports Award was presented to Mattie Riter.
• The Varsity Club Awards were presented to Madison Sciera and Allison Thompson.
• The Friends of Homer Wrestlers Awards were presented to Zach Apker and Jagger Tanner.
• The Joe Hubbard Bowling Memorial Scholarships were presented to Nicholas Hinshaw and Allyson Natale.
• The Homer Lady Lacrosse Scholarship was presented to Mattie Riter.
• The Homer Softball Scholarship was presented to Bethanie Gratton.
• The Power of the Stick Award was presented to Tasie Fox.
• The Spirit of the Trojans Award was presented to Sam Sorenson.
• Senior Three-Sport Plaques were presented to Zach Apker, Madeline Cole, Tasie Fox, Allyson Natale, Caraline Riley, Lydia Sujkowski , Allison Thompson, Dominic Tutino, Isabella Wallace and Hunter White.