December 8, 2021

Olympian boys shut out Wolves

MARATHON — There was a lot more contact and a lot less space Tuesday than in Monday’s game for the Marathon Olympians.

And yet they were still able to put up their second straight lopsided shutout in as many days, a 6-0 victory against the Union Springs Wolves at Marathon High.

Bryce Hartman and Jacob Byron each had two goals for the Olympians, while Kaiden Cornell and Braeden Morrison each had one.

Byron scored the only goal the Olympians would need in the third minute by tapping home the rebound in the 6-yard box after the Union Springs goalie could not secure the ball after making the initial save.

Morrison scored his goal in the 34th minute by saving the ball from going over the end line after getting tangled with a teammate, then blasting the ball into the top left corner of the net.

The Olympians had plenty of chances to put the game away in the first half, but the execution was not always there. Shots off the side of the net, off the crossbar and over the crossbar plagued the Olympians until the halftime horn came with them up just 2-0.

“We missed opportunities early,” Olympians coach Chip Stewart said. “We could have had four more goals in the first half. We’re not bad, we’re getting there, it’s growing pains.”

The Olympians outshot the Wolves 22-0 and drew 19 corner kicks while the Wolves drew none.

That should come as no surprise when almost the entire game was played in the Union Springs half of the field. You could count on one hand the number of minutes the Wolves were able to get the ball into the offensive third of the field.

The one time Olympians goalie Trent Ensign had to break a sweat was in the early stages of the second half when the Wolves had a throw-in 20 yards from goal, but good defense by his back line allowed him to scoop up the ball before a shot on target could be registered.

With no tournament in which to defend their 2019 Class D state title, the Olympians are just thankful they can get some playing time in, according to Stewart.

“You want to do this without getting injuries,” Stewart said. “You just want to get into the philosophy we’ve had here that we’ve established in my 32 years of coaching…. chemistry, being a Marathon kid, working with each other, defending each other, supporting each other, just being a good kid.”

The Olympians (2-0) host Southern Cayuga at 5 p.m. Thursday in their next game.


The Lions followed a similar playbook to victory as the Olympians, ballooning a 2-0 halftime edge into a comfortable 7-0 final.

Casey Phillips led the Lions with four goals and an assist. Nolan Welk added two goals and an assist, Zack Willson had a goal and Corey Matesanz had two assists.

“We started slow today in what was a very physical first half,” Lions coach Laszlo Engel said. “We regrouped in the second half playing our game better and faster. The result was five nice goals. I am pleased with how we rebounded and stepped up our play in the second half. There are days that it takes a while to get going and today was one of those. Elmira is a very hard working team and they really took it to us in the first half. They never relented, but we did up our game when we needed to.”

The Lions visit Whitney Point on Thursday.