December 5, 2021

Homer house gutted by fire

Colin Spencer/staff reporter

Firefighters walk outside a house in Homer on Friday that was damaged by a fire. The owner and her cat weren’t injured, but the house was left uninhabitable.

No one was injured Friday morning in a Homer house fire, but damage left the building uninhabitable, a Homer fire official said.

The fire was called in at 9:04 a.m. for 6035 Cold Brook Road, according to Cortland County Dispatch.

The fire apparently started after an electric fan in the basement of the house started sparking, said homeowner Chris Gartz. The fan had been running to dry the basement from recent flooding.

Gartz and her cat were able to get out unharmed, said Homer Assistant Fire Chief Joe Riley.

The fire — which was knocked down within 45 minutes — caused structural damage inside and above a basement window on the exterior of the house, he said. Gartz, Riley said, will have to relocate for the time being.

“I’m probably going to stay at her house,” she said, nodding to her friend Vicky Delaney.

Assisting Homer Fire Department were crews from Cortlandville, Tully, Preble, Spafford, Truxton and McGraw fire departments and TLC Emergency Medical Services ambulance, according to dispatch.