November 26, 2021

Reed gets 3 years

Onondaga County man sentenced for felony assault

Colin Spencer/staff reporter

Taupac R. Reed, right, sits at his sentencing Thursday in Cortland County Court. He was sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to breaking a woman’s ankle. He had been charged with raping, beating and imprisoning the woman in March.

An Onondaga County man who admitted breaking a woman’s ankle following charges he raped, threatened, beat and imprisoned her over two days in March was sentenced Thursday in Cortland County Court.

Taupac R. Reed, 31, of 1136 Vine St., Liverpool, was sentenced Thursday to three years in prison followed by five years of post release supervision after pleading guilty in August to second degree assault, a felony, for his role in allegations of raping, imprisoning, beating and threatening a woman between March 24 and March 26, court documents show.

Reed was sentenced as a second-felony offender, having been convicted in Onondaga County in May 2020 of first-degree criminal contempt, Judge Julie A Campbell said.

Before sentencing, Campbell noted Reed’s criminal history dating back to around 2010. She also said two other warrants had been issued for his arrest — one in Syracuse and one in Auburn.

Campbell also said Reed originally blamed the victim, alleging that she gave him morphine that knocked him out while neighbors rummaged through his apartment. Reed also alleged the morphine put him in an intoxicated mindset when he broke the victim’s ankle by stomping on it.

Assistant District Attorney Victoria Monty said Thursday in accepting the plea agreement that Reed admitted to stomping on the victim’s ankle.

“That type of injury only happens with a significant amount of force,” she said.

She also reiterated Campbell’s assertion that Reed placed blame on the victim for not being in the “right state of mind.”

Reed was indicted July 15 in Cortland County Court on charges of first-degree rape, attempted first-degree rape, first-degree sexual abuse, second-degree assault, second-degree strangulation, first-degree unlawful imprisonment, felonies; and second-degree menacing, a misdemeanor.

Campbell’s sentence adhered to Monty’s recommendation for three years in prison followed by five years post-release supervision, along with an order of protection for the victim.

Public Defender Kayla Hardesty said Reed admitted to his conduct and injuring the victim, and noted he has psychiatric issues, but did not specify.

In speaking for himself, Reed said he was thankful for the plea offer.

“I’m fully on board with the decision,” he said. “If the victim was here, I would have liked to apologize to her.”

Reed and the woman became acquaintances after the two met while on a walk, court documents show. Reed and the woman went back to her Cortland apartment on March 24 and over the course of two days, calls were made by neighbors and the apartment complex’s manager out of concerns for her safety.

At one point, she ran naked from her apartment and banged on doors of other apartments yelling for help, but no one answered, the woman testified earlier this year. Reed brought her back to her apartment, threatened her with a knife and choked her until she was unconscious.