November 26, 2021

Sorenson leads Homer to league title

Katie Vartanian/contributing photographer

Homer’s Sam Sorenson rushes to his first of four first-quarter touchdowns in the Trojans’ 55-26 rout of Marcellus.

MARCELLUS — Sam Sorenson had an efficient night, to say the least. As part of the Homer football team’s 55-26 drubbing of the Marcellus Mustangs Friday night, Sorenson rushed four times for 112 yards and two touchdowns and returned a fumble and an interception for a touchdown all in the first quarter, then didn’t touch the ball again the rest of the game.

The win secured the OHSL title for the Trojans, an undefeated regular season and the No. 1 seed in the NYSPHSAA Section III Class B tournament.

The Trojans kicked off to start the game but ended up recovering the first three kicks. The opening kickoff wasn’t meant to be an onside kick, but the Mustangs set up so far off the line that the Trojans had tons of room to fall on the ball.

After Sorenson scored from 40 yards out on the first play from scrimmage, the Mustangs continued to line up deep. So the Trojans took advantage and got two more possessions, the first of which resulted in a four-play drive that was all first downs and culminated in a 4-yard touchdown rush by Will Dady.

The third Trojans possessions ended with a turnover on downs, but Sorenson intercepted the first pass of the game by Marcellus quarterback Pat Louer and ran the ball back 25 yards to make the score 21-0 Homer with still7:37 left in the first quarter.

“They were more like an NFL set where they were 15 yards away from the ball, and you only have to go 10 to recover,” Trojans coach Gary Podsiedlik said. “We said the rule was, if they’re going to stay back that far, let’s go with our short knock out onside kick until they take it away.”

On the very next play from scrimmage, after Marcellus finally recovered a kickoff, Sorenson recovered a Louer fumble and scampered 50 yards to make it 28-0 and give him two defensive touchdowns 16 seconds apart.

Sorenson would add a 57-yard touchdown rush and David Morse scored from 30 yards out as the first quarterclock expired to make the score 41-0 after just one quarter.

“We got a couple of lucky breaks in the beginning with the pick-six and the scoop and score, but it was a pretty awesome game,” Sorenson said.

Hunter Riehlman and Jeff Stauber provided relief in the backfield in the rest of the game, and each scored a touchdown in the second quarter to make it 55-0 before Louer found Ryan Donahue for the first Mustangs touchdown just before halftime.

The Mustangs scored three touchdowns in the fourth quarter with a passand rush by Louer and a 4-yard rush by Jake Kermes.

There was cause for concern for the Trojans midway through the second quarter, however. Damani Durham, an instrumental figure in the Trojans’ return game, amassed 61 rushing yardsbefore exiting with an ankle injury.

With or without Durham, Sorenson and the Trojans are excited for the upcoming postseason run and a chance to play for a sectional title at the Carrier Dome. Their likely first-round opponent is Westhill, which had to cancel its planned meeting with Homer on Oct. 8 due to COVID issues.

“We’re just looking forward to playing our hardest,” Sorenson said. “I think everybody wants to play in the Dome. Nobody on this team has played in the Dome ever. And getting a home playoff game is cool too.”

“It’s going to be a heck of a tournament,” Podsiedlik said. “We’ll start getting ready tomorrow morning for it.”